Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pick A New Role Model

Time to jump around on a soap box.  First off, we know that I'm not a sports fan. I grew up in a household where we didn't watch sports, it wasn't a part of our lives. I believe my dad legitimately, for real, dislikes 'sticks and balls' if their sole purpose is to run around on a field and score points. He doesn't get it, and apparently he's passed his distaste onto me.  Secondly, I grew up a dork.  Not like completely socially inept, but definitely not one of the cool group.  Those kids played sports and had parents that cared about Guess Jeans and Nikes. Where am I going with this? Hold on. 

So yesterday some kid who plays football for the University of Iowa, who goes by DJK (sounds like a serial killer) was arrested on drug charges, we've all heard the story before, etc., etc.  Click here for The Story. But here's where I got really annoyed, facebook was inundated with comments from fans about how disappointed they are (he's apparently a star player) as well as this comment: *unnamed friend* 'finds it frustrating when the person your kid looks up to sets a terrible example. Way to Go DJK.' 

Ok, I recognize where this mother may be frustrated, but perhaps there needs to be some better role models  in everyone's lives.  Think about it for a minute. Try to come up with just a couple famous people, athletes, political figures, etc. that have remained positive figures throughout their lives.  This is difficult, so I'll give you some time...  The problem with fame is that once someone realizes that they have some sort of power, resilience, or can get by with things that normal people wouldn't, it goes to their heads and they make really dumb decisions.  Others who shouldn't be considered choices for your role models: Mylie Cyrus, Lady Gaga, anyone who's had multiple plastic surgeries (unless its reconstructive because of an ape attack), Kanye West, etc.

Case in point, (clearly not one of my political idols) John Edwards.  I know this is old news, but in light of the past day's events, what a piece of crap! Who the hell thinks that in this day in age they can get by with such BS being in the spotlight?  I truly hope for his sake that he's sought forgiveness for his indiscretions.  33 years of marriage to what appeared to be a wonderful woman, only to screw around on her with some floozy who gets knocked up, and for it all to unfold in the media.  He deserves any and all guilt that he's dealing with.  Watching the news coverage of the passing of Elizabeth Edwards saddens me.  She didn't want her legacy to be one of her husband's affair, or to be defined by her struggle with cancer, she wanted to be remembered by her family as a strong mother and friend, which I hope and believe she will be.

My role models?  Family members who have personally set impressive examples time after time. Parents who taught respect and demanded it.  Professional colleagues who have put the time and effort into creating their success and didn't get anything handed to them for just showing up.  Why look up to someone who doesn't personally care about your success as much as you of theirs. I'm not perfect, and I don't want to come off like I think I am, but I couldn't sleep, so you got myobnoxiousPOV.

"I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful."
   ----- Elizabeth Edwards'

No comments:

Post a Comment